Updated: Jan 20
A key question might be one of these:
A). In what way might I REALLY like to REDUCE, or STOP this BEHAVIOUR for a period of time?
B). In what way has this BEHAVIOUR cost me MORE THAN MONEY?
C). What have I PARTIALLY or FULLY given up in favour of this behaviour, that I would RATHER I HADN'T?
How important might it be that I consider altering my behaviour a little? These questions might help me:
1. Do I find myself doing this behaviour or substance in a larger amount or for longer time than I’ve meant to, or would prefer to? NO or YES
2. Am I wanting to cut down doing this thing, or wanting to stop this thing, and NOT sufficiently managing to? NO or YES
3. Am I spending more of my time than I really want to, doing, getting, using, or recovering from use of this thing? NO or YES
4. Do I sometimes have a disturbing craving or an urge to drink, use or act out? NO or YES
5. Am I finding that I am sometimes not managing to do what is required of me at home, work, or school because of drinking, using, or acting out? NO or YES
6. Am I continuing to drink, act out or use, even when it is causing a problem in a relationship I would say I value? NO or YES
7. Am I tending to give up a family, social, occupational, or recreational activity of mine, that is important to me, because of drinking, acting out or using? NO or YES
8. Am I drinking, acting out or using, even when it puts me, or someone dear to me, in some danger or causes actual harm? NO or YES
9. Am I continuing to drink, act out or use, even when I suspect I have a physical or psychological problem that could have been caused by, or is being made worse by, my drinking, acting out or use? NO or YES
10. Might I appear to be needing more of the drink, substance or behaviour to get the effect I want - building a tolerance or becoming acclimatized to it? NO or YES
11. Sometimes might I be experiencing a physical withdrawal symptom, which might be relieved by drinking, taking some of the substance or doing some of the behaviour? NO or YES
None or One YES - it appears to be little issue at the moment - worth keeping an eye on it, as a human. Depending on the YES, one YES may still have a significant affect on my life when it involves the loss of a job or a relationship I would say that I valued at some point.
Two or Three YES - I likely have a MILDLY Unhelpful Addictive Behaviour and some alteration in my behaviour is likely to produce a more helpful outcome.
Four or Five YES - I likely have a MODERATELY Unhelpful Addictive Behaviour and some alteration in my behaviour is very likely to produce a more helpful outcome. I am likely to need professional help and peer support.
Six or more YES - I likely have a SEVERELY Unhelpful Addictive Behaviour and some alteration in my behaviour is extremely likely to produce a more helpful outcome. I almost certainly require professional help and peer support. I would likely benefit from making personal medical support an extremely high priority.
I might benefit from discussing this questionnaire with my personal health professional - it is recommended that I consider that.